Pianoforte | Chicago, IL | 2013
Pianoforte Studios was designed as the new home for Pianoforte and the associated Pianoforte Foundation to realize the owner’s dream of providing a single venue for the promotion of classical piano instruction and performance in the City of Chicago. Built 1903, the three story brick and timber warehouse, a former automotive parts manufacturing and distribution facility, just north of historic motor row, offers an industrial framework for the clean lines and high gloss of the grand piano inventory. Maintaining the industrial past with exposed brick and timbers the design creates a series of showroom vignettes with a collection of screens and overhangs bringing a more intimate scale for the display of feature pianos.
The 100 seat concert venue maintains this aesthetic while providing opportunities for lighting, projection, and acoustic control as well as audio and video recording. The second floor performance space can be set up to accommodate classical performances, jazz concerts, master classes and movie screenings and is regularly used for public radio and television broadcasts of the Pianoforte Foundations concert series. The project was completed in 2013, Pianoforte Studios has already become a mainstay of the Chicago music scene and a regular stop for world class pianists on their way through Chicago.
Status: Completed 2013< back to all projects